Sunday, March 31, 2013

Curing autism?

So my cousin and I are getting ready to start a modified version of the gaps diet... Because of other problems i am not capable of all the specifics but we are fully ready to tackle what we can.

BUT there is something that is severely pissing me off. I am autistic and every story I read has to do with "curing" someones autism. 1. you cannot "cure" autism... its a genetic thing. 2. it may be annoying at times but it is the characteristics that make that person who they are

Its number 2 that is really bothering me. Yeah, the characteristics can be very annoying and super frustrating at times. But what about the incredible things. The bonds that are made? The sensitivity to special things? Even, the odd memory functions can be helpful. Most autistic people are really smart. I even have an eidetic memory.

SO however much the gut flora can be helped to control neurological symptoms. Stop assuming you are changing the human. It's just not fair.

PS... it is my ability to know where my patients are coming from that will make me better at achieving the behavioral goals....

No comments:

Post a Comment